I’ve told you that for the next twelve months I’m going to be challenging myself to be better, push harder and go bigger. What I haven’t told you is exactly HOW I plan on doing this. While I won’t be sharing the big picture I’m working towards, just yet, I will share my plan for getting there.
You know, just in case you wanna try it out for yourself.
- Decide on your big, end of the year goal. What’s the one thing you want to have accomplished most by the end of the year? Make it a little out of your comfort zone, something that feels somewhat daunting. Try to make it something you really want to accomplish, something that maybe you’ve wanted to accomplish for a long time but just haven’t yet. Got something? Good!
- Take a moment to acknowledge the scary gap between that goal and where you are now. Get the fear out of your system before the real work starts.
- As I’ve mentioned before there are 7 basic goal categories: Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Career, Social, Family and Financial. Which of these categories does your goal fall into? Are there other areas that might be useful to work on as well?
- Once you categorized your goal/s I suggest setting up your calendar.
This is what mine looks like. My “Big Finale” goal is career centered but I feel like to really prepare myself to take it on I also need to work on some mental and physical aspects of my life. Of course your calendar may look different or you may choose to forgo one altogether, the choice is yours. Personally, I like a little structure when conquering the world.
- Once you know your end of the year goal and have a general idea what categories the rest of your goals will fall under the fun can begin. This part is all up to you. What goals can you set for yourself to get you from where you are now to where you want to be? Set your goal for each month a step above the goal for the month before.
Each month you’ll push yourself a little more and by December you’ll find that the goal you set, the one that seemed just out of reach, is right in front of you.
One thing I want you to remember is that this is all about you! If you’re going to take on this challenge do it however works for you. Maybe you don’t want to use categories and calendars, maybe you don’t want to do one goal every month, that’s completely fine!! What’s important is YOU chasing what matters to YOU.
I also want you to know that no matter what your goals are or how you choose to work towards them, I’m here for you. If you need advice, motivation, someone to talk ideas out with, a shoulder to cry on, I’m right here. Whether I know you or not, I want you to accomplish everything you hope for.
I want you to be happy. I want you to be successful. I want you to challenge yourself.
That way we can be great, together!